Thursday 19 April 2012

A DELICIOUSLY EASY BREAD RECIPE




Cow Pat Bread


Umm something smells delicious!” Sighed Teen V hungrily

“It’s Cow pat bread!”

“Seriously? Yuck!!!... Is there anything else?”

“No!” I replied quietly confident, and asked her to set the table.

For years I had heard rave reviews of this bread. Friends eyes lit up at the mention of it, taste buds of all ages were set off at the mere thought of it.

It's the signature of a wonderful lady called Judy, who very kindly shared it with me recently. Since then I have been keen to make it myself.

It’s a real no fuss recipe that you can bung in the bread maker, if you have one, or easily make by hand if you don’t. 

It's packed with goodness and doesn't disappoint. 

The kitchen was filled with the comforting aroma of fresh baking bread and homemade soup and everyone who ate was totally impressed.

The name cow pat bread comes from the shape of the dough, nothing more sinister than that. It tastes nothing like a cow pat looks and is light but wholesome!!

It’s a real gem and one that I will be adding to my bread repertoire!


Thank you Judy!!

Cow Pat Bread



COW PAT BREAD


Preparation time about 5 minutes with rising time of about 2 hours
Cooking time 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

1 and 2/3 cups of water
2 cups of strong white bread flour
2 cups of  Allinson wholemeal seed and grain flour- Judy said malted flour but I had this and it was delicious
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp soft brown sugar
3tbsp dried milk powder
1 tsp salt1tsp dried yeast


WHAT TO DO:

1.     If using a bread maker put in the water then add the dry ingredients and set to dough setting...and go to 3.

2.     If making it by hand mix all the dry ingredients and then add the water gradually and knead. Leave somewhere warm to rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.

3.     Turn it onto a non-stick baking sheet and shape into a “slipper shape ie twice as long as wide and about 5cm high". Now let it rest and rise somewhere warm for about ½ hour.

4.     Then cook in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees for about 30 minutes.

It is fab.

 I sprinkled dried herbs, sea salt and olive oil over it before I put it in the oven and it was great.

Judy recommends bunging a handful of sunflower seeds or linseeds in to the dough I think anything goes and it depends what you are serving it with. 


Bread and Olives


Cow Pat Bread and Pont L' Eveque



Spring pear blossom
Whilst the bread was rising I went outside, despite the rain, the blossom is looking beautiful. The greens so fresh, full of life. I thought I'd share these with you as well.



Pear blossom in the rain.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment