“Umm great smells, what’s baking today?” asked a friend who had popped in.
“Coconut cupcakes” responded the young baker!
“Wow!..Someone is always baking when I come round!”
I laughed it off but it got me thinking.
They had a point; we do a lot of baking.
We bake if friends are coming round. We bake for the frequent cake days and cake sales at school, but we bake mainly just because we fancy it.
Cakes, cup cakes, cookies...there is nearly always something in a tin on the fridge waiting for the hungry.
As with everything, some old favourite recipes get used, abused and adapted, like the classic chocolate cake recipe I posted earlier this year, (see February) but we are always keen to discover new recipes.
The coconut cupcake is a new discovery.
It’s inspired by the Hummingbird bakery Coconut and pineapple cupcakes – but no one here fancied pineapple in their cupcakes so this was created!!
This is our pure unadulterated coconut version with added coconut!
It is smooth, rich and light and so easy to make.
Makes 20 cakes
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 15 minutes
120 g plain flour
140 g caster sugar
40g butter or margarine
120 ml coconut milk
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 heaped tbsp desiccated coconut
Pinch of salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
WHAT TO DO:
1. Pre heat the oven to 170 degrees C
2. In a separate jug measure out the coconut milk and add the vanilla extract.
3. Gently beat the coconut milk into the flour mixture then add the egg and beat until smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture into paper cases and bake for about 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and cool. This takes about 20 minutes. Then prepare the icing.
250G icing sugar
50g margarine or butter
40 ml coconut milk
A splash of vanilla essence
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
WHAT TO DO:
1. Beat the butter and icing sugar together slowly
2. Pour in the coconut milk and vanilla and beat until smooth then add the 2 tbsp of desiccated coconut.
3. You might want to add more icing sugar depending on the thickness you require
4. Spread liberally on top of the cooled cakes. Sprinkle with more desiccated coconut to decorate.
|Coconut cupcakes and a cup of tea|
Confession time..I didn't make the Randonee..