|GBBO inspired Swiss Roll|
As we returned a few days ago into a grey and gloomy Britain after a few weeks away, I could feel our spirits sink, all except one daughter.
“Hey, The Great British Bake Off starts again today, so it’s not all bad!” She said enthusiastically.
However the following day whilst I tackled the washing then the overgrown and somewhat dead plants in the garden, typical we go away when there is a heat wave and so all the tomatoes and most of the beans I have nurtured are totally dried up and shrivelled..the Not Just For Rabbits Teens got creative inspired by their viewing.
Using left over rhubarb jam made last summer, see post ...for September 2013...and oranges they created a light delicious cake that has all the reminders of warm summer sunshine that you need.
|Food from the garden|
Using left over rhubarb jam made last summer, see post for September 2013 for the recipe
..and oranges they created a light delicious cake that has all the reminders of warm summer sunshine that you need.
RHUBARB AND ORANGE SWISS ROLL
Serves 4 plus
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 8 minutes
3 oz caster sugar
3 oz plain flour
Zest of an orange and juice of half
4 TBSP Rhubarb and vanilla jam
WHAT TO DO:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Gently fold in the flour and orange zest.
4. Pour into a lined tin (around 28x18cm) and cook for 8 minutes
5. Remove from the oven turn out onto a sheet of baking paper dusted with sugar, then peel off the paper and score gently at 1 inch along one shorter side.
6. Roll gently up as tightly as you can without the cake cracking, then when cooler squeeze over a little orange juice then smoother with rhubarb jam and re-roll
7. When totally cool dust with icing sugar and eat!!
This is very light and the rhubarb and orange just give it a really different taste
|Rhubarb and orange swiss roll|