Wednesday 17 October 2012

GLANDULAR FEVER, FACEBOOK AND APRICOT COMPOTE- now there's a strange combination




smoothie and get well flowers 




I had great plans for October.

Seasonal recipes, places I wanted to go, things I thought I would blog about, but all this got put on hold when Teen V got poorly.


It started a week ago. She had a sore throat and couldn’t really eat.

Then she couldn’t keep anything down for three days, not even water, and suddenly it escalated and she was in hospital on a drip and they were running numerous tests.

Luckily it is just severe glandular fever and nothing life threatening. For that I am so thankful, especially when we saw some very ill children in hospital.....

It was a horrible shock though. 

THANK YOU for all the support of friends and family- what did we do before facebook?

 It felt very surreal, but strangely comforting, posting from my hospital camp bed in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep as drips were changed and machines bleeped constantly!






flowers



After a bit of research into GF or infectious mononucleosis which is caused by the Epstein- Barr virus (EBV), I soon realized that the food she eats in the next few weeks is even more crucial in aiding her recovery as there isn’t a cure or medicine to take.

Well, only rest and more rest, and lots of healthy immune boosting food.

So if any readers have any suggestions for a fussy teenage vegetarian, I would really appreciate hearing from you. I have started to make a list of possible recipes and things which will help, but nothing much appeals to her at the moment.

We’re starting with smoothies.

Luckily a few weeks ago I made some apricot compote for breakfast and crumbles so I  put a few of the apricots into the smoothie mix and they have gone down well.

So, I apologies for not putting a proper recipe up, however here's my compote recipe if you do see any apricots in the market or greengrocers. I would recommend getting some and making up some compote. 

It’s so easy.

You never know when it might come in handy!





apricot compote





APRICOT COMPOTE



INGREDIENTS:

500g apricots stoned
200ml water
150 g caster sugar


WHAT TO DO:

1.     Wash, halve and stone the apricots.
2.     Heat water and sugar  in a large saucepan then add the apricots and cook on a low heat for 30 mins.
3.     When cool bottle the fruit and the juice in an airtight jar and keep for when needed.


Perfect for pies, crumbles, or with yoghurt for breakfast and in smoothies!! 
Excuse the lack of photo's I've been being nurse instead this week.
x

 Forgot to say am booked to go to the Mumsnet Blog fest in November so must down load the tag's etc but am looking forward to meeting other bloggers then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment